Camera Settings

Always wondered what camera settings you should be recording for your lightshow? Here it is. (Some may be applicable to non-DSLR cameras)

• 1920x1080 or 4K. If you use a gopro I recommend using Superview feature.
  • 24FPS or 30 FPS. The higher the FPS the more blinky your modes will get.
  • I say stay away from 60 FPS or 120 FPS as it gives your video a “hyperrealistic” feel not natural.
  • 1/40 or 1/60 shutter. This will show your mode as accurately as possible.
  • Adjust your ISO accordingly to these settings if image is not bright enough.

Other recommendations

• Have a backlight so it casts a silhouette on your body.
  • Fisheye lenses are great to add that “3D” effect to your shows.
  • If you are editing your video through a software, make sure you export the same settings that you shot in (If you shot in 1920x1080, export 1920x1080)
  • Overlay your music so people can hear all the beats your hit!

Nice editing and presentation sweetens the experience of your lightshows.

5 Likes

Duuude, prime info right here! I’ve been recording at 1/30 shutter speed but I’ll give 1/40 or 1/60 a try.

The other thing I’d add is my lens has an aperture setting - If it’s darker I usually just open the aperture all the way up and then close it like one or two clicks.

If it’s bright outside though, I generally go with a smaller aperture, and low ISO (100 or 200). I’ve found that that helps the light from my gloves to still show up and not get washed out by the daylight!

1 Like

I’ve always recorded at 60 fps but will definitely be giving 30 a shot

1 Like

1/30 will make your trails way more “traily”. Some cameras will start to look “glitchy” though at 1/30 if you don’t have a decent camera. I’m usually below 1/50 if I want that extra push, but it’s funny. Sometimes when I stream Ill go 1/250 to make my set blinky without changing my modes xD.

2 Likes

you’re so good at teaching!! So thankful that you’re going all in on this and the gloving academy! I had to find the right key to enter in the gloving game and you’re it! You answer so many questions that i forget to ask you lol! Thanks for this! And all your tutorials and time into the gloving world!! :pray:

2 Likes